The PC users are lucky to have access to several Windows web browsers, which are safe, fast and free. All of these users work in compliance with the most up to date web standards. Each of the three main Internet browsers Internet Explorer, Chrome or Mozilla, has its special features and advantages. Naturally the users might find one or another more useful depending on the moment and the particular task.
The three main browsers have their unique features:
- Firefox uses certain extensions that allow the user to customize the browser according to one’s own needs.
- Internet Explorer works on 64-bit program, applies graphics hardware acceleration, and uses a strong tracking protection against the site code.
- Chrome applies modern technologies like voice response and instant search page loading.
In general, the PC users will be just fine working with each of the three popular browsers; however there are certain issues that make each of the browsers different from the others. The most important question that PC users ask the experts is which is the most secure browser that they can use this year and whether to choose Internet Explorer, Mozilla or Chrome.
Browser Security: In the Past & Today
In the past, all of the above-enumerated browsers have encountered various security problems. Nowadays Firefox and Chrome allow for constant security updates and use the Safe Browsing API by Google in order to detect the potentially dangerous sites. Chrome browser even scans the downloads, which are potentially harmful. At the same time, Internet Explorer 11 browser applies the security measure Tracking Protection and thus blocks the potentially hazardous sites trackers from getting in contact with the browser.
Today the three most popular browsers Internet Explorer, Mozilla or Chrome provide privacy session option and do not allow the storage of history, temporary internet files and cookies.
- In 2013, the number of the vulnerabilities that have been discovered in Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox have dropped with almost 20% compared to the previous years. In 2013, 727 vulnerabilities attacked five of the most popular browsers.
- Internet Explorer covers 99 % of the market share, compared to Firefox with 63 % and Chrome with 60 %, on all computers that run on Windows operating system.
- Security is important, and that is why the browsers are equipped with quick patches for vulnerabilities.
Which Is the Most Secure Browser in 2014?
The PC expert confess that it is very hard to rate one of the browsers as the most secure one since all of them have strong and weak features. However, based on a study from 2011, most of the experts name Chrome to be the most secure browser. Right after the Internet Explorer, Google comes with the second highest malware detection rate.
At the same time, Firefox is also considered a very secure browser to use, being lighter, with fewer features and code and with an SSL certificate. When it comes to privacy issues, the experts say that Firefox is much better than Chrome.
In terms of security Internet Explorer seems to be the least secure one, which is most probably due to the different vulnerabilities issues through the years. Nowadays, however, the security issues in its new versions are already managed. The Internet Explorer is quite good at keeping the users safe from being infected by accident during the process of browsing. It also uses a closed source, which is good for the security.
Browser Security Results
- Chrome and Firefox – excellent security.
- Internet Explorer – acceptable security.
Browser Privacy results:
2. Internet Explorer
The main browsers Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome are all smartly organized. In most cases, the users install and use all of the three browsers on their computers and thus have a choice which browser to use in every situation.
The browser installation is easy, and the making of updates is even simpler. For example, the updates in Firefox and Chrome are done in the background and the new software is applied when the program is launched next time. Manual updates are also available in Firefox. The updates with the Internet Explorer take more time.
As a rule, the users should set all the browsers they use on an automatic update. Otherwise, the computer might be at risk as the browser organizes security fixes.
The three main browsers are characterized with minimalistic design, fast speed and compatibility with the web standards. The details:
- Google Chrome: address bar that can be minimized or expanded; easy bookmarking.
- Mozilla Firefox: tab bar on the top of the address bar; one-click bookmarking.
- Internet Explorer: user-friendly single bar combining the search and the address.
The differences in the three main browsers are in their features, as follows:
- Chrome comes with different and many updates plus a large Web Apps Store. It has easy to work with software and mobile versions for the Android and iOS devices.
- Firefox has many extensions, built-in PDF viewer and mobile version for the Android operating devices.
- Internet Explorer offers site spinning, change of tabs into windows. It also has a mobile version for Windows operating devices.
The Browser to Pick in 2014
According to the StatCounter statistics, the most popular browser in 2014 is Chrome. This browser is used by more than 45 % of the users on a global scale, compared to Firefox browser with 20 % and Internet Explorer with 18 %.
This means that the choice of browser is strictly personal and depends on the users’ preferences. The three browsers have their strong and weak points. It would be useful for the PC users to know that Chrome offers them a large selection of apps, extensions, and updates. At the same time, Firefox also offers frequent updates and is suitable for interactive webpages speed managing. At the same time, Internet Explorer 11 is perfect for Sunspider benchmark standards.
The experts say that currently Firefox offers the best collaboration of security, privacy and easy usage. The PCC users who are accustomed to the Google interface and are ok with the information that Google collects about them should use Chrome. Internet Explorer ranks last in the list of browsers in terms of security. However, the users should be aware that the security of the browsers they use further depends on their browsing habits.