This article explains how to remove the Shmokiads.com adware network from your computer system.
“Ads by Shmokiads” is just one of the variants in which you may see branded advertisements cramping up your computer. Such ads are coming from the Shmokiads adware network which is an affiliate network of various advertisement providers and may be associated with multiple PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) on your computer. Such programs may cause various types of pop-ups, banners, browser redirects and other third-party content provided by Shmokiads network. What is attactive for most developers of programs, like the Shmokiads PUP is that they recieve money on each ad displayed, so they aim to slither their suspcious software to as many computers as possible. The Shmokiads adware may not only slow down your computer, but it may also collect different information from it as well. If you have been affected and are seeing Shmokiads ads on your PC, we advise you to read this blog post.
How Does Shmokiads.com WorkShmokiads.com is the type of software you may not want to be on your computer. It is advertised primarily via it’s poorly-made websites, that may make it seem that it is a software that dims down everything else when you are watching a video. Other form of advertising it is via bundled software installers which may contain it included in one of the installation steps of legitimate programs, like your favorite movie player, torrent downloader or other software.
Usually most of the apps created similar to the Shmokiads.com provider are made to display different type of online advertisements and perform multiple other activities besides this:
- Put the “Ads by Shmokiads.com” type of captions on the advertisements it displays.
- Display phishing-like and other suspicious looking web pages that should not be trusted.
- Slow down your computer and take up RAM and CPU resources.
- Display various different types of advertisements that pretend your computer is at risk and ask you to download their fixing programs which are nothing more but rogue antivirus software(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_security_software).
But Shmokiads.com may also perform different activities that may not be of the user’s best interest, such as deploy different tracking technologies, like:
- Flash cookies or LSOs.
- Web cookies.
These technologies can collect different type of information from your computer, such as IP address, language, network information, browsing history, browsing clicks, search history and other. Usually such information is used either to be traded or to display targeted advertisements.
Shmokiads.com Ads – How Did I Get Them
The primary method of receiving ads such as Shmokiads.com ads is to get the software installed via bundling. Bundling is essentially combining the installation of Shmokiads.com with a legitimate setup of well-known software.
How to Remove Shmokiads.com and Protect My PC
In order to delete this potentially unwanted program and reverse the settings changed by it on your computer, it is strongly recommended to apply the steps in the instructions below. They are specifically designed to assist with the removal process of this potentially harmful software. For maximum effectiveness, malware researchers strongly advise removing this software via anti-malware scanner that will automatically delete it.
Booting in Safe Mode
1) Hold Windows Key and R
2) A run Window will appear, in it type “msconfig” and hit Enter
3) After the Window appears go to the Boot tab and select Safe Boot
Cut out Shmokiads.com in Task Manager
1) Press CTRL+ESC+SHIFT at the same time.
2) Locate the “Processes” tab.
3) Locate the malicious process of Shmokiads.com, and end it’s task by right-clicking on it and clicking on “End Process”
Eliminate Shmokiads.com‘s Malicious Registries
For most Windows variants:
1) Hold Windows Button and R.
2) In the “Run” box type “Regedit” and hit “Enter”.
3) Hold CTRL+F keys and type Shmokiads.com or the file name of the malicious executable of the virus which is usually located in %AppData%, %Temp%, %Local%, %Roaming% or %SystemDrive%.
4) After having located malicious registry objects, some of which are usually in the Run and RunOnce subkeys delete them ermanently and restart your computer. Here is how to find and delete keys for different versions.
For Windows 7: Open the Start Menu and in the search type and type regedit > Open it. > Hold CTRL + F buttons > Type Shmokiads.com Virus in the search field.
Win 8/10 users: Start Button > Choose Run > type regedit > Hit Enter -> Press CTRL + F buttons. Type Shmokiads.com in the search field.